A fresh coat of paint can bring new life to your home or business, inside and out. Painting the interior or exterior of your home or business may seem like a do-it-yourself project or maybe something for which you hire a college kid. If you’ve never hired a professional painting company, you may be missing out on some real benefits. When considering hiring a painting company, you want to know what to look for and what kinds of questions to ask so you can be sure to hire a trustworthy company. This guide will help you select the right painting company and understand what to expect from professional painters.
Tips for Hiring a Painter
Generally, it’s good practice to contact and compare at least three painting companies before making a decision. Here is a sampling of what to ask a painter before hiring one:
- Ask if they can provide reviews from past clients and references from recent jobs. A top-quality painting company will have a reputation to match. Beyond that, you can do your research by looking at their reviews on Google, Yelp, and Angie’s List. You should also be able to look at a photo gallery showing examples of their past work.
- Ask what kinds of jobs are their specialty. Some painting companies perform interior painting but rarely do exterior paint jobs. Some can handle simple jobs but can’t do spaces with high square footage or special decorative finishes. Be sure to find out if the company you’re vetting has the right skills for your specific needs.
- Ask how long they have been in business. Generally, a company won’t stay in business very long if they are unreliable or don’t do good work.
- Ask how many people they will have working on your project. An experienced team of professionals will have enough painters in their employ to get your job done efficiently.
- Ask about their process. A professional painting company will have a process that they follow to ensure quality and consistently reliable outcomes.
- Ask about the deposit required. Most professional painting companies do not require payment in full before completing the job, but many require a deposit. Be sure you’re comfortable with their billing and payment structure before hiring them.
What Should I Expect From A Professional Painter?
- Professionalism. The customer is at the center, and the experience should not feel like a chore. Your painting professional should make the difficult elements of painting easier, such as choosing a color or deciding between paint and stain. They have access to industry tools, experience, and expertise and understand unique situations, like making sure a new paint job is HOA-compliant.
- Consultative Approach. There should be a recognition amongst the painting team that it’s your home and that you are the expert in your home and what fits your life. A professional painter spends time asking questions and getting to know you and the details of your project.
- Upfront Pricing. You should know what you are getting for what price. With a streamlined and structured estimating approach, you have the opportunity to consider and approve project variables before any work starts.
- Excellent Communication. You are in on the conversation. Collaboratively with a professional painter, you set appointments, choose color, and set expectations before the project begins.
- Flexible and Reliable. Your painter should understand your needs. They should offer project scheduling that fits your schedule. And when they say they’ll be there, they should be there.
- Excellent Reviews. Check out potential painting companies’ reviews online. (Hundreds of satisfied customers have reviewed ONiT.)
- Quality Products. Look for a painter who uses the best quality, such as Sherwin-Williams quality paints.
What to expect from professional painters’ process?
- Scoping. A professional painter will come to your home or business to get an idea of the project’s scope. At this time, they will assess the condition of the building, the size of the job, and any potential obstacles that might get in the way.
- Consultation. You’re the expert when it comes to your space, but a professional painting company can also be helpful as a consultant on everything from color schemes to stains and finishes.
- Estimate. A professional painting company will provide an estimate promptly before beginning work. There should be no surprises regarding how much the paint job will cost you. Likewise, they should be able to give you a reasonable estimate of how long the job will take to complete. Be sure to get both of these estimates in writing.
- Preparation. A professional painter will prepare the area, properly moving and covering any furniture, floors, and other surfaces before beginning work, including taping off areas to be painted to ensure clean lines and no paint splatter. They will also take the time to treat the surface before applying a drop of paint. This might mean cleaning or sanding surfaces, removing chipped paint, and filling any cracks or holes, or it might require more intensive prepping, such as carpentry.
- Professional Supplies. Painters should come equipped with professional-quality supplies, including tarps, drop cloths, painter’s tape, high-quality paints and primers, brushes, rollers, and sprayers.
- Responsive Communication. Your painter should be available to answer your questions and reply to your calls promptly. They should set appointments in advance and arrive at the scheduled time. Steer clear of painters who are difficult to reach or avoid answering your questions.
- Clean Up. A good painting company won’t leave you to clean up after them. Your painters should thoroughly clean up when finished, leaving behind nothing but a job well done.
- Post Project Follow-Up. The painting company should complete a final inspection to ensure that the work has been completed and meets quality standards.
How Much Do Professional Painters Charge?
House painting quotes and estimates will vary depending on several factors, including:
- The size of the paintable area. The larger the space, the more time and resources it takes to complete the project, and the more costly it will be.
- The condition of the surface to be painted. If there is damage to the surface, it must first be repaired, adding to your estimate.
- Ease of access. Hard to reach spaces and small detailed areas will add to the cost.
- The finish used. As a general rule, the higher the shine, the higher the paint cost. In other words, gloss costs more than satin, which costs more than a flatter finish.
- The number of coats required. If you change an existing paint color, you will likely need more coats, which will add to the cost. Bright colors such as red and yellow will also need several coats of paint.
That said, Forbes Advisor states that the average cost of interior painting is $3,500. Some painters may choose to estimate per square foot of paintable area. Others may charge by the hour, particularly if they are doing small jobs. A painter’s fair hourly rate is between $40 and $80 per hour.
What To Do Before Painters Come
You may wonder what YOU need to do to prepare before painters show up at your home or workplace. For example, do you need to wash the walls before painting? Will you need to move your furniture? Every painting company is different, but a full-service professional painting company will often take care of moving or removing furniture, carpets, and wall hangings and preparing the surface for you. However, you may do so if you wish to move certain things yourself.
Find out whether and how long you will need to vacate the home. Consider access and exit points. If you work from home, you may want to make arrangements to work in a different part of your house or elsewhere altogether as there may be excess noise. If you can’t (or don’t want to) be there while the painters are working, take anything you’ll need out of the house with you—a laptop, chargers, etc. Likewise, don’t forget to arrange pet care for the day if needed. If you have anything especially fragile or valuable on your walls, you may wish to store them away for your peace of mind. If you have a commercial space painted, consider if there’s any special equipment that needs to be moved or if you have sensitive materials to store before a third party enters the space.
The Value Of Working With A Professional Painter
A professional painter does more than show up with a bucket of paint and a brush. That’s one of the reasons ONiT has a menu of services that support a professional paint job, including drywall repair, power washing, and carpentry, to mention a few. It’s also why we have developed a roster of trusted partner organizations, all built around helping the homeowner and commercial clientele we serve.
Is it worth getting a professional painter? We think so. And, as we’ve outlined, the rewards are more than the fresh, beautiful finished product. Working with our professionals, you get the peace of mind that comes from a commitment to a proven process. You get your time back, whether that was the time you were going to spend doing research, time doing it yourself, or time watching over a less experienced painter. It’s a big home improvement, and the value of going with a professional affects not only the bottom line with a return on your investment but also in not having to worry about the small details. With ONiT, the beauty is in the detail! Contact us today to book an appointment or get an estimate.