Everything you need to know about the 2021 Color of the year, Urbane Bronze.
We recently discussed Sherwin-Williams’ Colormix Forecast 2021, which is a collection of colors they predict will be trending in the new year. This collection includes Urbane Bronze, their 2021 Color of the Year. However, we wanted to take a moment to dive deeper into Urbane Bronze, and answer some common questions that surround it.
What does it mean to be “Color of the Year”?
Around the Holiday season, almost every big-name paint company releases a color they predict will be the most popular for the following year. The exact criteria considered when making this selection is unclear. However, it does give homeowners and painting professionals an idea of design elements that will be gaining popularity in the near future.
What emerging trends can we predict from their choice of Urbane Bronze?
- Dark Colors
- Cozy Vibes
- Earth Tones
- Making a Statement with Color
What Color is Urbane Bronze?
Urbane Bronze is an extremely deep taupe color. It is essentially dark brown with an added grey aspect, which gives it a green undertone in bright lighting. It’s earthy core gives off a comforting warmth. However, due to it’s depth, it is still extremely eye-catching.
How Should I use Urbane Bronze in my Home?
While many people would see “color of the year” and expect it to be something they could cover their home in, this is not the case with Urbane Bronze. Due to how dark this color is, it would not be the best choice for an entire home. However, when used correctly, it can give the perfect amount of depth to any space, without making it feel dark and cave-like.
- As an Accent Wall
- Since painting an entire room in this color can make it feel too small, opting for an accent wall would give you the same edgy look without compromising the over all feeling of your space.
- On Kitchen Cabinets
- Painted cabinets are extremely popular right now, and we only expect this trend to keep going. Pairing this, as a cabinet color, with a light backsplash or countertop would provide the perfect amount of contrast to really make it pop!
- For the Exterior
- One of my personal favorite uses for this color is on the Exterior. It has a pretty strong green undertone when hit with bright light, which will make your home stand out from the rest in your neighborhood.
What colors pair well with Urbane Bronze?
Styling this color is all about contrast. In order to truly appreciate one, we must also experience the opposite. Try to pair Urbane Bronze with colors that have a higher Light Reflective Value (LRV). The higher the LRV, the lighter the paint color.
In addition to lighter colors, Urbane Bronze also pairs best with colors that have a warm undertone. This helps to emphasize the earthy richness in the colors, and really give your space that sanctuary feeling. Here are our top 5 favorites.
- 7006 Extra White
- 7049 Nuance
- 7029 Agreeable Gray
- 6204 Sea Salt
- 6192 Costal Plain
How should I design around Urbane Bronze?
As you’ve probably gathered by now, a lot of the appeal to Urbane Bronze is that it’s “rooted in Nature”. While there are many ways to style this color, it tends to lend itself more to a Bohemian look. The key elements to creating a warm and welcoming Bohemian space are:
- Mixed Textures
- This can include Suede, Leather, Macramé, Metal, and Rattan.
- Wooden Accents
- Consider adding a wooden coffee table, bed frame, or vanity.
- Neutral Colors with mixed patterns
- By keeping the colors neutral, you are ensuring that the combination of different patterns doesn’t come off as too busy or overwhelming.
- Lots of Foliage
- Literally bring nature into your home by utilizing house plants in your design!
Over all, Urbane Bronze is a beautifully rich color, and we completely understand why Sherwin-Williams chose it as their 2021 Color of the Year!